I’m new at writing. Any tips to help me with the journey?
Of course! Being only 20 myself, I consider myself young in the craft of writing, but here are my top 5 tips to help new writers.
- Find a place where you can write. Whether it be your desk, in the library, in your basement on the futon; find a place where you can dedicate yourself to writing. If you use your bed/desk for schoolwork, try to refrain working on your creative work there, mixing them will make it hard to concentrate.
- Plan! Keep journals, binders, and flash drives with your work. While working on your novel or short story, make use of plot planning, world building, and character files. These will all help you develop your story along the way and can often be used as reference.
- Get Constructive Feedback. Feedback is key to writing and editing. These critiques and suggestions will help you look at your writing through a different eye, and work on the parts that are in need of work. Feedback also gives you an ego boost on the strongest parts of your work. Use these comments to your advantage!
- Perseverance! Writing a novel can be really, really difficult. But don’t loose hope! If you are really invested in your story and craft, don’t give up on it. Surround yourself with positive, uplifting people and write whenever you can, even if it’s only a paragraph or two.
- Read, read, read. If you’re stuck and can’t seem to find motivation: read. I’m not saying ignore your story entirely and delve into a 5 part series, but reading can 100% help kickstart your creativity and writing. The more you read, the more you’ll learn about your writing style and other tactics you want to implement in your own writing.
BONUS! If you are a student of any kind, remember that your mental and physical health comes first. If you cannot balance: classes, a job, a social life, a relationship, clubs, and your own writing, make sure to take care of yourself, even if that means putting your creative work on the backburner for a bit. If you are passionate about your writing, you can always pick right back up where you left off when things are less crazy.
I hope these 5 tips helped!
New Blog Posts Are On Mondays & Thursdays! Stay tuned!